My birthday is in December (11th of the month), so to my liking, it is the best celebrated compared to that of my older sisters'. December means presents and Christmas bonuses, so somehow I have more resource to celebrate. I remember when I was in kindergarten, I got to celebrate my birthday in our classroom in school. I still have a picture of that in my memory, blowing my white cake of boiled icing, with green edging and pink icing flowers with tulle and ribbon. My sisters were looking on, and I am sure, wishing they had one too.
I knew they were happy for me, but young as I was, I was too happy to mind. Looking back, it had a lot to do with the sources for my celebration. My sisters and brother and Tita too, when they had their birthdays and the sources were scant they would have custard cake (chiffon cake topped with leche flan from La Paz bakeshop in town) or if funds were high, cakes like mine in varying colours depending on availability and if we were allowed by the baker, like in Legislador bakeshop or by the baker who lives down below our street, Oca.
- Nenen Amour
Big Sister's Comment:
I do recall this occasion and yes, my little sister Nenen's birthday cake was really pretty. I remember we wore matching dresses that day - the yellow ones made from the same textile for us by Lola Beb (Lola Beb was really good in dressmaking, a skill she learned from our wawa, her mom and our greatgrandma, who made clothes for herself growing up and for her family during WW2). Lola Beb was such a good dressmaker that in her younger years, she had a regular slew of clients who came to her for all kinds of clothes. She had an old Singer pedal sewing machine made from iron. In it, I learned how to make simple clothes from basic patterns so that I was able to make dresses for my dolls. Nenen was much better at it, as she was able to master adding decorative elements like lace and appliques.
For this party, Tita Beb also made our all-time favorite, Spaghetti, Filipino version. It is cheesy, and also sour-sweet with lots of cubed cheese and slices of our favorite meaty hotdogs. There were also sandwiches filled with sweet savoury filling made from margarine and sugar, cut into triangles. And lastly, Pancit Bihon - a vermicelli noodle dish, wherein pork or chicken is stir-fried with garlic, onions, julienned carrots and cabbage, lightly braised and in the broth, the vermicelli when cooked absorbs the flavours. With everyone singing Happy Birthday, my sister ends a universal ritual of making wishes by blowing her candles and closing her eyes for a wish she kept secret in her little girl's heart. I remember she was smiling and grinning in her own reserved way and I remembered Tita Beb's face of satisfaction - one that expressed her own happiness at the joy my little sister Nenen experienced on her special day. For Tita Beb, making us smile and happy was more than just a responsibility to her, it was a motivation and a sense of fulfilment.
And while I was really happy for my little sister, it really sucks to be the one with an August birthday when resources are kinda of scant being the height of the drought season in the Philippines. Still, my Tita Beb and Lola Beb always made the most delicious 'handa' (food prepared for events) even when they were just a little less premium, more common fare. I often had arroz caldo (chicken-rice porridge) served hot and hearty in bowls that fill up little tummies, pancit bihon and custard cake - a lot less pricey but in my palate just as yummy. My birthday, celebrated in lean times, is all the more happy because we share good food prepared with love by my Tita Beb and Lola Beb, making me and those attending my birthday, smile.
Pancit Bihon by Pinoy Bites 2021
Comments
Post a Comment