Endings are also beginnings. Endings, like the passing of loved ones, in our case, our most beloved Tita Beb, was a painful parting. Her presence, her smile, the comfort she gave us...we thought they would be with us forever. And then she passed, without warning, as if she was called for some higher work.
Today marks the first year since then, and my sister Nenen and I would like to think that it marks the beginning of her life as our guardian angel. We still feel her, a kind of comfort when all else fails and things seem desperate, a warm confirmation of God hearing the despair and confusion in the deepest of our hearts in our prayers when we have nothing else to hold on. It's a sense where you just know, Tita's there. Since she passed, I have always felt her guiding me, as I go through the difficulties of my research, chasing after that one dream. She's saying, "It's OK Tata, you can do it." I miss her, how I wish i had spent time with her more and let her know how much I love her. She nurtured me as a fragile child, helping me get better grades, getting to the top of my class, recovering from the beatings and violence inflicted by parents who couldn't help themselves.
She'd do it simply, half the time it's just giving me a hug, or taking my sister Nenen Amour (and sometimes with our little brothers Cory and Nikko) and myself to a treat where we would share a bowl of Batchoy from a stall in the town's dirty market, ran by a certain Berting and his wife. The aroma of the pork and beef broth made from simmering pork and beef bones for hours gets the appetite going. The yellow miki noodles is al dente and oiled, the meat toppings of pork, beef and liver enhanced by deep fried garlic flakes and minced scallions. We would share a 500 ml bottle of Pepsi and a side dish of puto. As we ate, Tita would gaze at us with a gentle smile, as if our happiness is the greatest reward.
Through the years I also came upon that amazing feeling of being happy when the souls I love the most are happy. I think I only came upon that perspective and it's reward because of her. My sister Nenen Amour is the same. She is an amazing mom to my nieces Xam and Pipay and I know when her babies are happy my sister couldn't be any happier too. That's our Tita Beb in us.
We remember you always Tita Beb, and today we mark your ascendance to the ranks of Angels.
Love,
Tata (& Nenen)
In pictures: Tita with Xam a few years back when Xam played an Angel in a town event; Tita with Pipay as a toddler - she loved her grandnieces fiercely; our favorite noodle soup, the Ilonggo Batchoy - image from Kusina Master 2022.
Comments
Post a Comment